PTC Mathcad provides many different solutions for college faculty and students to tackle maths-related, technical course work, such as:
- Demonstration tool
- Student maths homework and lab report environment
- Medium for delivery of online maths
- Research and publication platform
PTC Mathcad’s broad applicability in higher education is due to its features. It has always been known for providing great functionality in a user-friendly package for less money than the competitors.
Therefore, each section below explores how PTC Mathcad addresses a specific need in the teaching and learning of maths-related disciplines in the academic field.
As Demonstration Tool
First of all, one of the most effective ways to use PTC Mathcad in your courses is as a demonstration tool during lecture, homework recitation, lab time, or office hours. It can help you demonstrate concepts using real maths notation, integrated text, and graphs. Further, you can manipulate variables, call functions, perform symbolic operations and create animations to extend beyond the static material.
Here are some ways you can use PTC Mathcad as a demonstration tool:
- Create templates for solving typical problems, models for exploring concepts dynamically, animations for demonstrating ideas visually and complete documents for presenting topics formally.
- Show students how to work through problems as you would using a graphing calculator or spreadsheet application. This match software combines the best of both these tools and adds interoperability with other applications, a document interface, and support for Web-based deployment.
- Demonstrate ideas without giving away the solution using hidden, passworded regions.
- Automate calculations to check results using controls and programming.
- Generate notes, templates, models, assignments, and solution sets for your students to review, annotate, and use when completing their own work. In addition to its live, native format, PTC Mathcad worksheets can be saved to PDF, RTF, HTML, and HTML with MathML.
With static tools, if you want to demonstrate a dynamic idea, you must use graduated diagrams or a series of calculations or try to let the audience imagine what happens if a variable or condition changes. However, you can enliven, enrich and ultimately improve those presentations using PTC Mathcad.
As Student Maths Tool
It’s hard to imagine simply using PTC Mathcad as a calculator. But, in fact, it contains all the tools of a graphing calculator and much more. From simple calculations to data analysis and differential equations, PTC Mathcad is a one-stop-shop in terms of numeric and symbolic computation, graphing, and simulation. In short, here is a review of some calculation features available:
- numeric evaluation of expressions up to 15 decimal places
- numeric evaluation of expressions in various formats, including fraction and scientific
- algebraic evaluation of expressions
- numeric and symbolic equation solving
- 2D and 3D graphing with numerous plot types in each
- built-in units and automatic unit conversion
- unlimited user-defined variables and functions
- wide array of built-in variables and functions
- full range of vector and matrix functionality, including image and waveform processing
- data import, export and analysis tools
- calculus tools
- differential equation solvers
- full range of statistics and probability functions
- animation of any variable-dependent region
- programming functionality
- built-in interoperability with Excel, SmartSketch, MATLAB, and Vissim
- generic ActiveX/COM object support through the Scriptable Object component
Above all, its extensive calculation and visualisation capabilities, this solution can also help students present their work in a coherent and complete fashion. Once students have gained a certain degree of mastery over-performing calculations in it, they will be ready to think about the presentation of their work. In addition, PTC Mathcad provides all the document tools students need to create beautiful papers that capture their calculations and explanations in one place.
As Medium for Delivery of Online Maths
PTC Mathcad provides many ways to deliver course materials online, in live or static format, for its users and non-users, alike. For example here are some ways this solution serves as a medium for Web-based delivery of maths content:
- View as static pages — no software required.
- View as interactive pages — using PTC Mathcad.
- Edit right in the browser — using PTC Mathcad.
- All members of the community can view your materials.
As Research and Publication Platform
As a result over 1 million technical professionals worldwide can tell you, this solution is a professional grade calculation and visualisation tool. In preparation for publication, it provides a suite of document tools that allow you to fully customise the format of your papers for submission. Whether you are analysing data, demonstrating theoretical constructs, performing calculations, or running simulations, PTC Mathcad is a robust platform for all your professional technical work.
Contact Alfasoft if you have questions with regards to PTC Mathcad’s academic licenses.